Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Longing.

As my family and I sped towards Jacksonville Beach in our SUV at around sunset, I looked out the window and into the sky.

I stared up at the clouds for a while, admiring their beauty, the variety of warm colors slowly fading to darkness at the opposite horizon. I watched a plane slowly drift into the great red giant that was a cloud. How I longed to be up there.

Not in the plane, of course. Pressurized air, cramped seating with a sneezing, coughing, diseased little kid to my left and an elderly lady drooling on my shoulder after passing out on my right. Hell no.

The clouds themselves. To suddenly appear and become tangible, drift along with the rest of them, and eventually fade into nothingness. Or a bird, who's only real job is to eat and not die. The rest of the time spent gliding through the white fluffy wonderland in the sky. Those lucky bastards. I envy them.

I wish I could fly up into the clouds, not have a worry in my head, and just drift off. To not care where I'm going, to not care about who I'm leaving, having no earthly limitations to weigh me down.

I want to be free.

1 comment:

Ameer said...

Ive always wanted to go through a cloud and see what it feels like. wet, maybe? :]