Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Escape.

WARNING: this post contains a lot of bitching.

These past couple days I've been pondering a lot over some stuff G had been saying. Every once in a while over stickam he might mention something about wanting some tangible, in-person friends, as much as he loves his internet friends (us). When he said it before I really only took it lightly but never gave it some though.

Now I have. :-/ My summer has been a drag and I thought it'd be OK with the friends I made at school before the year ended. That was my goal, actually: to make friends so I wouldn't have a shitty loner summer like my last one was. Apparently I failed.

It really sucks when you chat with a friend over the phone or myspace and they tell you about last night or last weekend they had SOOO much fun with all your other friends at some party, event, or activity that was planned but you were excluded from. I'm not being selfish or clingy, I don't care to get invited to all my friends' fun things, but for loads of people to tell you they want to hang out with you over the summer, and then go out and invite everyone in your "circle" BUT you? It's kind of sad. For me anyway.

To anyone who might be reading this who have been in my stickam room before: the way I act on stickam is EXACTLY the way I act in conversation with people. I seem to make so many friends online, but never out in the world. All my in-person friends seem to be "school" friends who I only hang out with at school or at an after school event/club, never "out." I'm just confused about the amount of people online who seem to like me for who I am and literally want to be my friend (yes, I get messages from people asking if they can be my friend.) and then nobody ever wants to hang out with me out in the real world.

Now that it's summer I'm not sure how I can make friends. Can anyone suggest anything? I'm gonna try the summer job approach and have applied at three establishments, but I haven't gotten any calls back. I'm not sure how else I can meet people because going up to people at concerts and randomly talking to them seems odd to me, does it to you?

So yeah, I'm faced with a couple dilemmas:

1. Why is it that I can be myself online and get LOADS of friends and meet amazing people, but get the opposite reaction in-person with people? I make friends, but apparently none of them ever want to hang out..

2. How do I make friends this summer so it won't be completely anti-social?

This gave me an idea for tomorrow's post. Gonna type a reminder word so I don't forget: rebuild.

ps: i didn't force myself out of my blah mood today. :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dar, I know the feeling. I think an amazing way to meet people would be a summer job. Although I don't have one, my sister works for Starbucks and has met tons of amazing people there. You get invited to lots of things outside of work and meet amazing people.

I think you make so many friends online because you're like no one else and you're the type of person a lot of people wish they knew. I can't think of why people in real life wouldn't want to spend like every living breathing second with you. :/ Although it is hard to find decent people in high school. I would definitely go for the job approach. I think you'll meet better people and people that are a bit more mature and more inline with your personality and interests.

And if you're ever feeling frustrated or annoyed with life, IM me or call me. I'll message you my number if you want.

I hope you meet some non-shitty people and have an amazing summer Dar. Of all the people I know, I'd say you're at the top for deserving to be happy.